Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Southern Friends

I grew up in the "south" although I really did not realize it, as I thought that "The South" meant, Georgia or Mississippi or even Alabama. I have come to realize that Oklahoma and definitely Texas are also "The South" I am seeing it more now that I am out of it. I can see how people are really different here in California. It's good, just different....

A very southern friend of mine sent this to me. I am not one to typically even read "forwards" but I decided that one entitled "Southern Friends" might be worth my time. I really wanted to share it here because it summarizes many of my random thoughts on my transition in the friends I've made and the people I've met here.

For disclaimer purposes please note that I am so thankful for my new "West coast Friends" but my southern friends will always have a special place in my heart. Thankfully, I've run into a few transplants like myself and well, we are trying to bring the southern hospitality to the peeps here.

There are great differences in friends and Southern Friends ...

FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
SOUTHERN FRIENDS: Always bring the food. And lots of it.

FRIENDS: Will say 'hello'.
SOUTHERN FRIENDS: Will give you a big hug and a kiss. More than one.

FRIENDS: Call your parents Mr. and Mrs.
SOUTHERN FRIENDS: Call your parents Mom and Dad, and often.

FRIENDS: Have never seen you cry.
SOUTHERN FRIENDS: Cry with you. And for you.

FRIENDS: Will eat at your dinner table and leave.
SOUTHERN FRIENDS: Will spend hours there, talking, laughing, and just
being together. Then help do the dishes before leaving.

FRIENDS: Know a few things about you.
SOUTHERN FRIENDS: Could write a book with direct quotes from you. And
most of the time know you better than you do yourself.

FRIENDS: Will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing.
SOUTHERN FRIENDS: Will kick the whole crowds' back-ends that left you.

Then walk beside you in the front of the crowd.

FRIENDS: Would knock on your door.
SOUTHERN FRIENDS: Walk right in and say, 'Are you home?' If you are not
home they will wait.

FRIENDS: Are for a while.
SOUTHERN FRIENDS: Are for life. And then some.

FRIENDS: Might ignore this.
SOUTHERN FRIENDS: Will forward this to all their Southern Friends
Without hesitation I have been Blessed with SOUTHERN FRIENDS

And an interesting note, I have vivid memories of arriving home with my grandparents and them having visitors waiting for them on the couch! Friends who had dropped by and let themselves in and waited for our return.