Friday, August 22, 2008

Lessons from the swing!

Earlier this week I took the kids to a neighborhood park to play and have lunch. Both of them LOVE the swings...they have 2 regular swings and 2 baby swings... The park was not busy so we got lots of swinging time in. Natalie started out life HATING the swing...she would scream and shake with fear until she was 18 months old... now her dad has taught her to go really high and she digs it!

Well, being that it was just me with the two of them I had to go back and forth taking turns pushing them...

As soon as I'd give Natalie the first push she would insist rather abruptly that it was not high enough, almost throwing a fit for wanting to swing "higher and higher" She was extremely impatient and rude to me, requiring that I swing her high instantaneously. She did not realize that getting some serious height in a swing requires time... If I were to push such a small person really high she's probably be way off balance and fall out... so I had to build her up to it... But she wanted it instantly and not wait... yet I had to teach her that it would come... seemed like each time during our trip she got on the swing we would again have the same conversation...

Life is like that in so many areas, we want to be at the pinnacle of an experience, IMMEDIATELY, rather than take the time to get there properly.

Jameson on the other hand was content to bend over the baby swing and watch the ground go by no matter the speed or height of the swing...