Monday, February 18, 2008

Going Green-Save a Buck

I'm all about saving. Saving money, time, and the earth while I'm at it. I think we should be good stewards of all we are blessed with. It's a learning process for me. I do love being Thrifty though...so that inspires me to do so with saving time and the earth while I"m at it.

For instance, I've started refilling those foam pump things on my own. I love using Burts Bees soap for the kids, but at $9 a bottle, that's a bit steep for our budget. However, I've figured out a way to make it work. With a "free" coupon I got a foam pump soap. I used it up, as not to waste it, then filled a small amount of my Burt's Bees in the bottom and the rest with water. Works just like the other foam soap... I use about 1 bottle of the foam on the kids in a month... at this rate the full bottle of Burt's Bees should last over a year and half! So that particular endeavor worked well for me... Oh and I've also done the same thing with the kids hand soap, and my kitchen soap.
If you did not know those foam pump soaps are the biggest gag I've seen in a while. Meaning they are priced higher than regular soaps, AND they cost a fraction of the amount... Pretty much anyone can experiment a little and use regular soap and water (lots of water, little soap).

So I decided to figure out what other cleaning products I was spending lots on and how I could save...

I googled how to make my own dishwasher detergent... I read lots of articles and peoples comments... decided this would take some serious trial and error. My finicky dishwasher wants only the most expensive tabs out there! All others I've had serious issues with and end up with still dirty dishes... but alas I have to try to make my own... what could it hurt right?

Well, during one of my experiments, Natalie comes running to me... "mommy, mommy, there's bubbles EVERYWHERE" I had read that you could use a few drops of liquid dish soap with the mix of washing soda, and borax to help get everything nice and clean... well, I guess I used a few drops to many...

After several loads of dishes and them turning out like they have a film, I gave up.... (I even tried vinegar in my jet dry compartment, per several "green" website suggestions). It did not help. I'm not saying this does not work for some, because I"m sure it does. My washer is pretty finicky, so if you can use powder in yours, give it a try. 1part Super Washing Soda (arm and hammer makes it), and 1 part Borax, 1 tablespoon of this dry mix should be enough for the load. Both were available at my grocery store, in the laundry products aisle, and for cheap too!

Here's a cute pic I snagged of Natalie and the bubbles... (I just found out if you click on the picture it will increase the size)And a super cute pic of each of them!