Sunday, July 20, 2008

I just never realized

How much "new moms" need encouragement!

When I was pregnant with Natalie and had so many questions and insecurities God gave me a wonderful friend, She had been down the same road twice just a few years earlier and was pregnant again at the very same time as me. Amy and I became such great friends during this transition time in my life. Here baby was born just a few weeks before Natalie and so every little thing that happened I'd comment or ask Amy about and she would give me great wisdom, understanding or just a listening sympathetic ear. She knew to check in on me and make sure I was doing okay... She seemed so confident in her mothering skills that I just assumed that she "had this baby thing down" and did not need all the reassurance that I seemed to need as a first timer.

I've come to learn that she was just a really good friend and went elsewhere with her need for reassurance! But as we became closer friends she shared her struggles with me, and it helped me see that I was not crazy but actually quite normal!

Another friend of mine just had her 4th. She structures her home much like I do, she has routines and so forth. Her oldest is just 6 and yet she came to ME, asking ME for help with getting her newborn through some sleep issues... I mean, for crying out loud she is the mom of 4...she has done this more than I have... how in the world could I possibly tell her something she does not know already...

Well come to find out, she knew exactly what to do... BUT, in the midst of sleep deprivation, juggling more than you've ever juggled in your life and adjusting to this new person in your home and family you NEED reassurance and a comforting listening ear. Someone to see things that has a perspective you don't. Every woman needs a good friend to come along beside them during this time of transition and encourage them, lift them up, hold the flash light that lights up the path.

Being a mom is amazingly wonderful and gloriously sanctifying at the same time....and God has not created us to be lone rangers, he made us to be in community with each other...

So whether a woman has just given birth to number 2 or number 8, I'm certain she needs friends to walk with her and encourage her....